Does my project need a permit?

Any work that requires a building permit or other City permit requires those permits in the Critical Area. A permit is also needed to:

  • Construct any structures, impervious surfaces, or facilities on a property with frontage along the Mississippi River, frontage along a natural drainage route, or with a bluff  that is not already subject to a building permit
  • Perform any intensive vegetation clearing (removal of contiguous trees or shrubs) within a primary conservation area as described below
  • Perform any land alteration within the bluff impact zone or water quality impact zone described below

Permits are not needed to maintain existing lawns or gardens or repair existing riprap or retaining walls. A permit is needed for construction of new riprap and retaining walls, 

Show All Answers

1. Is my property in the MRCCA?
2. Does my project need a permit?
3. How do I apply for a Critical Area permit?
4. What are the setbacks for structures, impervious surfaces, and facilities in the MRCCA?
5. What are the standards for access paths and stairways to the river?
6. What are the standards for vegetation clearing in the MRCCA?
7. What are the standards for land alteration in the MRCCA?
8. What are the standards for lighting along the river?
9. What if my existing property does not meet the new rules?
10. What if my project is below the ordinary high water line of the river?