City Commissions

The City of Fridley has five commissions. These groups of community volunteers help advise the City Council on important aspects of the city.

Charter Commission: (Four-Year Term)

This Commission consists of fifteen members. The Charter of the City of Fridley is the document that enabled Fridley to become a self-governing city under the municipal home rule provisions of the constitution and statutes of Minnesota. The Charter Commission reviews the City Charter and makes recommendations for amendments. Meets approximately eight times per year (Monday evenings) at 7 p.m. at the Fridley Municipal Center.

Planning Commission: (Three-Year Term)

The Planning Commission consists of seven members. The Planning Commission is responsible for continuous community planning and development of comprehensive goals and policies, including but not limited to: land use, housing, environment, parks and recreation, public services, human services, and other related community activities. It advises the City Council in the development of programs to give increased effectiveness and direction in implementing established City goals and policies. It also takes action and makes recommendations on amendments to the zoning ordinance, special use permits, and subdivision requests. Meets the third Wednesday of each month at 7 p.m. at the Fridley Municipal Center.

Environmental Quality and Energy Commission: (Three-Year Term)

The Environmental Quality and Energy Commission (EQEC) consists of seven members. The EQEC advises on a broad range of environmental policies and programs and the management of the City’s environmental resources. It attempts to provide the City Council with accurate information to assist in making and implementing sound environmental policy in such areas as solid waste abatement programming, environmental education, waste reduction and water resource management. The EQEC consists of seven community volunteers. They meet the second Tuesday of every month at 7 p.m. at the Fridley Municipal Center.

Parks and Recreation Commission: (Three-Year Term)

The Parks and Recreation Commission consists of five members. It was established to provide the comprehensive development of park facilities and a recreational activities program for the well-being of the residents of the City. It recommends actions to enhance the park and recreation opportunities in Fridley and provides direction in establishing City goals and policies. Meets the first or second Monday of each month at 7 p.m. at the Fridley Municipal Center.

Housing and Redevelopment Authority: (Five-Year Term)

The Housing and Redevelopment Authority (HRA) consists of five members. The HRA implements housing rehabilitation programs and redevelopment projects that create new housing opportunities to meet local housing needs. It also administers programs that are designed to enlarge the tax base, create jobs, and create vital, attractive businesses in blighted or underdeveloped areas of the City. Meets the first Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. at the Fridley Municipal Center.

Joining a Commission

The City Council seeks residents interested in serving on City commissions as vacancies arise. There are two requirements in order to become a member of a commission: (1) You must be eighteen (18) years of age or older; and (2) You must be a resident of the City of Fridley.

Current Vacancies

There are currently openings on the City's Planning Commission and Charter Commission. If you are interested in being considered for those openings or any future commission opening, please fill out a commission application and return it to Roberta in the City Manager’s Office.  

Download/Print a Commission Application

For further information about current openings, the duties and responsibilities, meeting dates and times of the commissions, fill out a Commission Application or contact Roberta in the City Manager’s Office at 763-572-3500.