Contractors: The building permit counter will now be open Monday-Friday beginning at 7 a.m. to allow additional time for permit pick-ups during the busy spring/summer months. If you would like to pick up your permit before 8 a.m., please access the counter via the west side of the building. Use the door just south of the main entrance.
Requirements For Permits and Applications
Permits are required to construct, add onto, alter, remove, demolish, or repair a structure in the City of Fridley. This includes everything from new homes and garages to remodeling projects that might include additions, siding, windows, roofs, decks, storage sheds, fireplaces, wood stoves, swimming pools, and hot tubs. Permits are also required for signs and commercial construction.
Note: Effective August 1, 2011, When issuing permits in compliance with the State Building Code to a residential building contractor, residential remodeler, manufactured home installer, or residential roofer licensed under section 326B.805, municipalities must verify lead certification qualifications of the licensee required under subdivision 14 for renovations performed on residential property constructed prior to 1978. Municipalities may charge a surcharge for verification of this certification under section 326B.815, subdivision 2.
Building/Demo Permit Applications
- Residential Building Permit Application
- Commercial Building Permit Application
- Commercial Re-Roof Permit Application
- Demo Permit Application
Fire Code Permit Applications
Our permit application process has changed! There are now separate permit applications and submittal requirements for fire suppression systems, fire alarm systems, and tank removal process. More additions still to come.
Choose the appropriate permit application below and print off all the documents and follow the submittal requirements. Please submit all additional documents with the completed application. Any incomplete submittals will be returned to the contractor.
The Fridley Fire Department is located at 7071 University Avenue NE, Fridley, MN 55432.
Hours to drop off submittals are Monday thru Friday, 8:00AM to 4:30PM. Otherwise you can mail submittals to the address listed above, attention: Fire Marshal. Questions can be directed to Mike Spencer, Fire Marshal, at (763) 572-3621.
- Fire Suppression Permit Application
- Fire Alarm Permit Application
- Tank Removal Permit Application
Visit our Fire Permit Page for more information and a fee calculator.
Miscellaneous Permit Applications
- Patio Endorsement
- Swimming Pools & Hot Tubs
- Storage Sheds
- Manufactured Homes
- Wood Stoves
- Hydrant Rental
- Load Limit Modification
- Sewer and Water
- Temporary Outdoor Display Permit
Permit Information By Topic
The electrical permit fees are based upon circuits and type of installations. Prices effective as of January 1, 2009. Electrical permits are required for the installation of new electrical service equipment, and for any change in existing wiring, as well as installing/replacing fixed appliances and equipment connections. Follow steps below to apply for an electrical permit:
- Use the STATE ELECTRICAL FORM (choose below)
- Use the STATE ELECTRICAL FEE SCHEDULE to determine permit fee amount
- Add $1.00 (minimum) State Surcharge to the fee or if over $1,010 multiply .0005.
- Make check payable to the "City of Fridley"
- Mail to: City of Fridley, 6431 University Avenue NE, Fridley, MN 55432
- Do not mail to the State of Minnesota offices.
- Call 763-572-3604 with questions.
- Call Bob Clausen for Electrical inspections at 651-777-7885 between the hours of 7 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. Monday through Friday.
- One- and Two-Family Dwellings: State electrical permit application
- Multi-Family Dwellings: State electrical permit application
- Non-Dwellings: State electrical permit application
- Homeowners: State electrical permit application
Mechanical Permits are required for the installation or replacement, of mechanical systems in structures. This includes furnaces, gas lines, air conditioners and additional ductwork. The mechanical permit fees are based upon type of installation.
Plumbing Permits are required for all new or replacement fixtures in structures, and added gas lines. This includes replacement water heaters, gas fireplace inserts, plumbing fixtures and gas appliances. The plumbing permit fees are based upon type of installation.
Commercial Plumbing application needed for replacement of RPZ.
RPZ Test report will need to be completed for RPZ testing and rebuilds - no permit required.
Permit fees vary according to the value of construction. Building permit fees will vary for other structures such as signs, tents and manufactured homes. Other types of permits issued include sewer & water, moving, wrecking, load limits, construction water, tapping and street patch.